The Rome Fire Dept members perform all duties related to emergency responses (Fire, Rescue, Medical, and Hazardous-Materials), non-emergency service calls, fire prevention and public education programs, in-service training for all personnel, and maintain fire station apparatus, quarters, grounds and equipment.
1819 - The Village of Rome was incorporated, and the first piece of fire fighting equipment was purchased - a hand operated pump and some leather hose.
1891 - The paid department came into existence. There was a new Chief, four drivers, two stokers, and two engineers.
The Rome Fire Dept. proudly protects over 40,000 people living and working in an area of 72.5 sq. miles. We operate out of three stations with approximately 85 paid members. Our yearly emergency calls average over 3,700 responses.
The Oneida County Hazardous-Material response unit is housed at Rome. Along with members of other departments, we provide Hazardous-Materials technicians and specialists to respond to Haz-Mat emergencies throughout Oneida County.
The Members of the Rome Fire Dept through their Benevolent Association have donated more than $61,000 to various organizations throughout the Rome Community since 1986.
In the wake of September 11,2001, with the help of the Rome Community, were able to raise over $29,000 by organizing various fundraisers. These monies were donated to the Uniformed Firefighters Association Widows and Children fund.
Click here to visit the unofficial Rome Fire Department page.